Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Tough Times



I see signs of spring in my dead front yard. Sometimes you have to look really hard.

I am a telemarketer. I work from home setting appointments for businessmen. Rarely does anyone hang up on me, because they expect someone like me to call them. I never call anyone at home, and thus, never catch anyone at dinner. This is the perfect job for a knitter. I can knit while on hold.

Things are getting tough out there. I called a business the other day, the contact came to the phone, and when I asked if my representative could come by and see him he said, "Ma'am, we just found out a few minutes ago our plant is closing. We are really hurting right now." I told him I was very sorry and asked if I could pray for him. He was very grateful, but understandably shaken by the state of affairs he found himself in. Tonight a friend called and said her boss had emailed her division this morning, telling them there would be changes, things were tough and he would tell them what was happening tomorrow. So now she can't sleep, and has to dread going to work tomorrow after a poor nights sleep. Her boss is not too bright.

Is there ever a good way to get bad news? My friend's husband is waiting for a new kidney. She found out she has uterine cancer. Another is in remission from lymphoma, only to find that her sister is dying from stage 4 cancer. A family member, a breast cancer survivor, had a biopsy today in her other breast. The radiologist saw something suspicious on a mammogram.

It would be easy to settle in the slough of despond, were it not for simple pleasures. A new grandbaby, spring flowers soon to emerge, laughter around a dinner table, hearts seeking God and friendship on Friday nights each allow us to remember God's goodness. He is sovereign and loves us. He is good all the time. Jesus suffered a painful death on the cross. He experienced our fear, even asking the cup be passed from Him. He knows what we go through. He's been there.

My friends with cancer and job loss still trust Him. They struggle with fear, but they KNOW God is good. Oh that everyone could experience that peace during these difficult days.

For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rom 8.38-39)

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philip 4.6-7)

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. (Philip 4.12-13)

2 comments:

  1. When I start hyperventilating about everything that's going on currently (thank God we're currently in good health), I remember that bad times have come before and people survived them. And, as you said, God is good, all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I really liked this blog, I will be sure to stop by and see more! Please come check out my new non profit organization's site at http://virescencerecycling.blogspot.com/

    My name is Mat Crawford, I am from Colorado Springs,CO. Any followers or help is much appreciated, thank you! I just started this for the better good of our children's future and our growing societies, please stop by and comment or join us in our efforts!

    p.s. I read that your friend has cancer, I'm not sure what kind, but our third party charities also receive proceeds.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails