Friday, September 4, 2009

Porom and Spaghetti Sauce



I finished Amy's Porom this week. It is lovely in shiny Tahki cotton classic in a deep scarlett (which of course is not captured by the camera.) She loves it. I may make her another in wool for the winter, but for now, it is just a fun hat in a color that she loves.

Yesterday I did the last of my summer canning. 23qts. of spaghetti sauce. It is a recipe from my husband's aunt, the family's famous cook. She passed recently, to be with the Lord. I will share her recipe with you.

Aunt Donna's Spaghetti Sauce

½ bushel tomatoes, run through juicer (25 lbs.)
1 head garlic
2 hot red peppers
6 red peppers
3 lbs onions chopped
2 c sugar
1 t dry basil
½ t thyme
½ c canning salt
¼ C. oregano
2 c canola oil
24 ounces tomato paste
Run tomatoes through juicer.
Run all of this through the blender with the tomato juice: garlic, hot red peppers, 6 green peppers and onion
Bring to rolling boil, stir and place into sterile jars, fill 1/2 of top, wipe top , add sterilized lid, screw ring and tighten and invert on towel. time for 5 minutes and return to upright position. Check to assure pop and seal after 24 hours.

This is an old recipe...now you should water bath these for 40 minutes and even consider adding lemon juice for acid, since the new varieties of tomatoes are not as acidic as they used to be.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I see that name "Porom", I see it as "pogrom". A little disturbing. Beautiful hat, though.

    Thanks for the recipe...I love old ones!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails