Monday, February 22, 2010

Don't Get Your Pants in A Wad

Sometimes you should and sometimes you shouldn't...

Watching the Olympics (and knitting on row 57 of my Hemlock Ring Blanket) last night, I was remarking to my husband how nice it is to see people miss the Gold and graciously accept the lesser medal. They seem genuinely happy to have medaled at all. They may go back to their rooms and have a hissy fit, but publicly they state what is true…it is a privilege to even win. The sportsmanship displayed is refreshing. These competitors don’t seem to get their pants in a wad.

There are some things that do get my pants in a wad. Read this. Or this. The Livesay Weblog has been daily reading for me since the earthquake in Haiti. Troy and his wife serve in Haiti with their large family and report the real news of what is going on there in the relief effort. I have a special place in my heart for orphans and the plight of these Haitian orphans or families in abject poverty move me. Isn't there a humane way to deal with all of these children?
The Bible speaks to these things, as it does to all matters in life. God sees and weeps. The stuff that makes him weep, should do the same for us. Maybe our pants SHOULD be in a wad. We shouldn't just sit and complain though. We can pray, write letters, pray some more, and consider our own contribution to worthy charities that have been in Haiti for the long haul. We should assist in bringing injustice to the light.

Deuteronomy 27:19
"Cursed is the man who withholds justice from the alien, the fatherless or the widow." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"

Psalm 106:3
Blessed are they who maintain justice, who constantly do what is right.

Proverbs 28:5
Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the LORD understand it fully.

Isaiah 10:1-2
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless.

Micah 6:8
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

1 comment:

  1. so precious to us, obviously.

    and I am sick of UNICEF. ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails