Monday, February 8, 2010

Smiles for Monday


This morning I ventured out into the 9 degree weather to take my daughter to piano lessons. My tradition has been to do errands or go grocery shopping during this time. But of late, I go to Starbucks. I bring a book, note cards or knitting and enjoy my tall, skinny Cinnamon Dolce latte while I wait. Today, I had to wait to park my car. As I sat in the lot waiting for a spot, I observe a 30-something male attempting to close his car door. He had propped his laptop on the truck of his car, along with his steaming cup of java and gloves. The lock of his door was stuck in the lock position with the door open and he was trying to unlock it so he could close the door. He fiddled with it for a while and finally closed the door. He grabbed his laptop, gloves and coffee, proceeding to dump coffee all over his arm. He bent over to keep it from dripping on his Monday-morning work clothes and proceeded to lick the coffee off his arm. That’s when he looked at me and …smiled.
I liked that. He had just experienced quite a bit of frustration I’m sure, but his response was to smile. I laughed. Frustration, yet still a smile, an ability to aspire to.
A glad heart maketh a cheerful countenance; But by sorrow of heart the spirit is broken. Proverbs 15:13

From this peaceful perch, I enjoyed reading further in this delightful book, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Other than a stereotypical rude Christian, which I contend is probably NOT one and a little male bashing by another character, it is a charming depiction of life on the Channel Islands during and after the German occupation. The authors' (there are two) insights into people are delightful. A great read if you can tear yourself away from your knitting.
Which, by the way, I am moving along famously. So famously that I had to order longer cables for my Options needles because soon all my stitches will not fit on the needles. You can see my crammed-on-the-needles progress.

1 comment:

  1. oh the power of a smile! and to chuckle at yourself at the same time. so many others would have been irritated by the situation and even more that someone saw it...good for him for being a-typical. and good for you for sharing a moment with another.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails