Friday, April 30, 2010

The Importance of Reading to Your Child

I have always loved books. As a young girl my mother would take me to the library often and I would come home with a huge stack which were devoured quickly.  Both of my parents loved to read and my dad was an English teacher.  Some of my favorite times with my dad were spent discussing the themes of literature that he was teaching at the time.  Needless to say, when our children came along, we made reading to our children a priority.

When my oldest was young and we were beginning the venture of homeschooling, I was able to hear Jim Trelease speak after the release of his book, The Read Aloud Handbook.  His research confirmed what I believed, that reading aloud to your child was one of the most important things you could do for your child.  He encouraged parents to begin reading aloud daily as soon as possible.  His book has been revised many times now, but the research still holds, that the earlier you begin reading regularly to a child, the better.  He gives instruction on how to read to a very young child in this excerpt of his book, found at his website.  He also lists books that are good literature and will be interesting to children. The Read Aloud Handbook will convince you to make reading to your child a priority.
                                              
Another great book with lists of good literature for  children is Gladys Hunt's Honey for a Child's Heart.
Her blog can be found here in which she discusses the importance of words and the way in which they are used in the context of child training.
Every mother should have a library card.  Your child should look forward to going to a building full of books!  Start early! Your child will learn to look forward to going with you to get new books. You will learn which authors you enjoy and which books you might want to own in your own library.  It is free entertainment and you are demonstrating to your child that you value books and reading.
If you aren't familiar with children's authors, there are good lists on the internet.  Once you find an author you like, read all of their books. Have fun building memories!

These are some of our family's favorite read alouds. I know I am leaving SO many out, but its a start.
  • Good Night Moon
  • Make Way for Ducklings
  • Blueberries for Sal
  • Corduroy
  • There's a Nightmare in My Closet
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Little House on The Prairie
What are your favorites? Please share with us!

Speaking of books, look what I got yesterday...Oh, and don't forget the yarn giveaway!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,

    Yes, reading is so very important for children. You have an excellent post for those with little ones and grand little ones. :)

    Hugs,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of my parents always read aloud to my sisters and I. My mom read the entire Lord of the Rings series, the Scarlet Letter... tons of books that are deemed "adult literature." My dad read the entire Bible a few times over for bedtime stories. There's nothing like falling asleep after listening to something like Revelations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is why I love the Five in a Row Curriculum. Lessons all around classic literature!!

    too many favorites to list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always read to my daughters and can't wait to start reading to my first grandbaby when it comes in September.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails