Saturday, May 15, 2010

Carrot Cake

Sometimes you've just got to have Carrot Cake. Especially when it is your grandma's recipe and the best carrot cake in the whole world.  I realized my daughter doesn't remember ever having a piece, which is completely pathetic...so, today I made this cake.  It is better the second day, so tomorrow we will dig in!  I will even share her recipe with you.  There is nothing low calorie about it, just to warn you.

Pauline's Carrot Cake

2 C. sifted flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 C. oil
4 eggs
2. C. sugar
2 C. carrots, finely grated

Sift first 5 ingredients together.  Combine oil and sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
addition.  Gradually add dry ingredients, mixing well.  Turn into 3 8-inch prepared baking pans.  Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. (Start checking doneness after 30 minutes.) Remove from pans and cool on racks. Cool completely and frost with Cream Cheese icing.

Cream Cheese Icing

1/2 C. softened unsalted butter
1 8oz. cream cheese
1 t. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar

Cream butters in mixer, add vanilla and mix.  Mix in sugar until smooth

Now, you COULD substitute the oil with apple sauce and the eggs with egg beaters and use lowfat cream cheese, but then it wouldn't be my grandma's carrot cake...



6 comments:

  1. I love, love, love carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy does this cake look yummy!!!
    I must make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's breakfast time here, but I so want a piece of that carrot cake for breakfast! Thanks for sharing the recipe. When I am at home, I will have to try it!

    Best,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been craving carrot cake. This one might just have to be made...today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! Carrot cake is one of my favorites - this looks fantastic!

    xo - Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, that looks good! I suddenly feel the urge to bake something!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails