Sunday, May 30, 2010

Food Inc.


At the suggestion of my daughter-in-law, we watched this informative documentary concerning the food industry.  Shocking, but not.  I mean, whenever you pick up a processed food of any kind and read the label and don’t recognize half of the ingredients, you know you are in trouble.  I have always been a “from scratch” cook for the most part, but the information this film gives about the meat industry was most telling for me.  Since moving to Ohio, we have been able to partake of Amish, free range chicken for an affordable price and even bought a side of grass-fed beef once.  In our ignorance, we didn’t like it.  It was too lean, lacking the flavor that we are accustomed to.  As a Cincinnati dweller, it is good to know that UDF does not use hormones in production of their milk.  Busch’s at Findlay Market carries free-range Amish chicken and grass-fed beef, which is fed corn the last 90 days and is processed locally.  The meat is marbled as we are used to and has good flavor.  There are other vendors selling eggs, cheese and flowers, all from local farms.  Aren’t these eggs lovely?  I didn’t want to cook them. 




After watching this film, I am even more determined to visit our Farmer’s market weekly and buy locally as much as possible.  My garden is bigger this year, with plans for expansion next year. I have found a food coop to buy beans in bulk, increasing our emergency food store. Our power outage last year proved to me that we are not as prepared as we thought ourselves to be. It is definitely expensive to eat healthy unless you can grow your own, but over the years, I have watched whole grain pastas come down in price and recently organic produce in the market become more reasonable.
You can make yourself crazy with all this, and the truth is we will all die somehow, sometime. Not to mention in a bad economy, who can afford expensive food, especially when you are raising a family. I know people that eat horribly that have live until their 90's and others that did everything "right" struck down at an early age. We need not live in fear. We are to be good stewards of our bodies and all the material things God gives us, but only he knows our future and he holds it in HIS hand. I'm kinda glad about that...



God Holds the Future in His Hands

Dread not the things that are ahead,
The burdens great, the sinking sands,
The thorns that o’er the path are spread,
God holds the future in His hands.



Refrain
God holds the future in His hands
And every heart He understands.
On Him depend,
He is your Friend,
He holds the future in His hands.
We know not what tomorrow hides,
Of sun or storm or good or ill;
We only know His dear hand guides,
And He will be our Father still.
Refrain
His hand created earth and sky,
The zephyrs and the storms that rage,
And years to come and years gone by
To Him are but an open page.
Refrain
Live close to Him and trust His love,
Assured that while on earth we roam,
Whate’er may come, He bends above
To guide His children safely home.
Refrain
Words by James Rowe, 1922

1 comment:

  1. I've seen parts of the documentary but not the whole thing yet. Your post reminded me to get excited for the first delivery of fresh vegetables and eggs from my local Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). It's starting next week and I can't wait to start cooking it all up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails