Monday, June 14, 2010

Caterpillars

How does one become a butterfly?" she asked. "You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.”


Trina Paulus,Hope for the Flowers [New York: Paulist Press, 1972]
Four of these critters have been spotted on some ground cover in the front yard. I'm thinking they are swallowtails-to-be.  This site has some beautiful pictures of caterpillars.

It is hot and muggy, the kind of weather that makes you wish you had contacts.  My glasses fog up just opening the front door.  Now isn't that a pretty picture?  This kind of weather brings out the bugs.  It's time to closely inspect the vegetables for pests. But it is also firefly time.

We have an old wooden fence behind our house, framing an ancient ash tree.  At night, the fireflies put on a show, flickering through the night sky. My husband likes to sit at the window with all of the lights off and just watch.

Tonight thunder is rumbling, the cats are lazying on the deck and Pippin is chewing on his toys, emitting little squeaks from the kitchen.  I am going to knit. Inside with the air-conditioning on.  Praise God for air conditioning.


2 comments:

  1. What a cozy picture you have painted with humidity and fireflies and thunder and the ancient ash tree. Sounds wonderful to me! I saw fireflies for the first time when I visited Illinios in my 20's and was amazed-- they are so magical.

    I haven't seen any caterpillars around where I live, but big yellow butterflies are constantly floating by the window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty caterpillar! Yes, very hot and humid. The band of thunder showers has just past here. It was quite a light show. I guess we can go to bed now. :) We love the fireflies, too.

    Hugs,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails