Saturday, June 12, 2010

Short Rows



I love to knit short rows.  Which is why I love knitting socks I guess.  As you can see, I haven't gotten very far on Lillie's Little Sweater, but I am thoroughly enjoying these short rows.  You knit a bit into the piece, then knit or purl two stitches together, go back the other way doing the same, grabbing one more stitch as you go. Eventually, you have knit all the stitches in the row, but in the process have made a bump or curve in the piece.  Remember how much I love to knit the heel of a sock?  Call me weird.


This little machine has become a diversion.  A plethora of fresh fruit has led to the making of sorbets and fresh ice cream.  Have you ever read the ingredients on a cheap container of ice cream?  Looks like something that could oil an engine or something.  This is why the mothers of old always made stuff from scratch.  The current homemaker thinks nothing of buying everything instant...but the price you pay is chemicals out the whazoo.  We keep wondering why the increase of cancers, autism, etc. in our society, but our food is no longer real.  There has to be a connection.
Which brings me back to ice cream. This recipe for strawberry ice cream is delicious, easy and gluten free as long as your vanilla source is know to be GF.  You can leave it in the freezer for one hour to harden, but we couldn't wait!

Strawberry Ice Cream


  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cups mashed fresh strawberries
  • Mix it all together, add to the bowl and freeze according to instructions. Let 'er run 20 minutes! 

  •  


    3 comments:

    1. Yum! We make ice cream at home, too. One our our favorites is blueberry with a touch of vanilla. We started doing it for the same reasons when we figured out what was in the store stuff. Oh, heavenly desserts!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I like knitting short rows, too, but the whole wrap and turn thing intimidates me. Yum, that homemade ice cream looks good! I'm a bit of an ice cream addict but have never tried making it myself.

      ReplyDelete
    3. love our ice cream maker!!!!! all time fav is peanut butter w/ Haitian Vanilla!!!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
    Debbie

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails