Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Summer Vacation

Well, summer is almost over. It was full, fruitful and muggy. Here's the wrap up-

My Summer Vacation 

1. Apparently it is the muggiest summer since the 1948 and it's not over yet.

2. I stripped my wallpaper in the kitchen and repainted a lovely blue-gray.
From this:
To this:
3. I had a wonderful visit with my brother and his wife. Amish country and Cincinnati sites made for wonderful memories.
4. My kids were all home under one roof for eight days, including the CUTEST BABY IN THE WORLD.

5. Somehow I was able to read 3 books and they were some of the best reading I have EVER done. 

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
Crazy Love by Francis Chan 
The Prodigal God by Tim Keller

Seriously, you need to run out and get each of them right now.

6. My nasty, filthy, rough, uncomfortable, off white (what was I thinking?) carpet was removed in the family room and replaced with wood. It is clean, cool and so pretty.
From this:

To this:
7.  I grew a vegetable garden and discovered that deer hate cucumbers and peppers and both plants are prolific. I also learned that growing sunflowers is fun and the birds love them.
8. I got to be reminded of what fun my kids are.

9. I discovered a new summer favorite drink.
9. I got to see what a good mother my daughter-in-law is.
9. I learned that it is possible to go an entire summer only knitting one item and to get to the last two rows and run out of yarn and not be miserable about the whole thing. 

10.  I learned more of God's grace and forgiveness and goodness and sovereignty. 

“The Bible’s purpose is not so much to show you how to live a good life. The Bible’s purpose is to show you how God’s grace breaks into your life against your will and saves you from the sin and brokenness otherwise you would never be able to overcome… religion is ‘if you obey, then you will be accepted’. But the Gospel is, ‘if you are absolutely accepted, and sure you’re accepted, only then will you ever begin to obey’. Those are two utterly different things. Every page of the Bible shows the difference.” 
Tim Keller

How about you?  How was your summer?









4 comments:

  1. Wow,what a great summer you had. Where to start? Your kitchen looks gorgeous, and so do the new wood floors. It must have been wonderful having all of your kids home at once. Thanks for the book recommendations-- I have heard Gilead is good and want to check it out.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I am in San Jose. Where are you from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the summer wrap up!! and so many of your projects! Crazy Love is one of my husband's all time favorite books (I have yet to read it.); love the wood floors; good for you for withstanding the heat to tackle the wallpaper project; and your grandson is oh so cute!! enjoy the start of fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your summer with us, Debbie. Your home looks beautiful (of course I thought it looked pretty good before you changed the kitchen walls and replaced the carpet with wood floors). I hope some day you'll share on your blog all your decorating tips. I've always loved your sense of style and admired your mothering skills. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I hope this comment doesn't come in twice - I timed out before I could send comment earlier. Anyway, I love your summer recap - great times with family and so many projects finished. :)

    My summer is at sea. We will return to land at the end of September.

    Hugs,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails