Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snowed In!

This is the view out my window this morning.  I love that I have a lamp post in front, especially when it snows.  It reminds me of Narnia.  Seeing the new Narnia movie is on our bucket list this Christmas  season.  Baking, last minute Christmas knitting, and a pot of soup for dinner is on the schedule for today.  And blow drying Pippin every time we go out. :-)
Yarns and Fabrications is under new ownership and is now Main Street Yarns.  Their location is in the old part of Mason, near the newly opened Quatman Cafe (known for its yummy burgers.) The new store is bright and airy.  There is a nice selection of yarn, though stock was down while I was there.  She assured me that after the holidays, she is going to be getting in lots of new merchandise. 
One of my new favorite yarns is there, Plymouth Baby Alpaca Ampato.  It is soft and a dream to knit with and she had it in several colors.  I will venture out in a few months to check out her updated inventory. 

Here's the recipe for our dinner tonight!
Asparagus Leek Soup
  • 3 large leek, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 tablespoon butter
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 3 medium carrots , thinly sliced
  • 1 t. salt
  • 2 ½ qts. chicken broth
  • ½ c. uncooked long grain rice
  • 1 pound fresh or frozen spinach
  • 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces
  • ¼ t. pepper
  • 1 c. heavy cream or evaporated milk
Saute leeks and onion in butter until tender. Add potatoes, carrots, salt, broth and rice. cover and bring to boil and simmer 25 min. Stir in asparagus. Cover and simmer 10 min. until done. If using canned, add with spinach. Add spinach, pepper and cream. Heat through, do not boil.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails