Friday, December 10, 2010

Wool Sweaters and Pills

Have you ever seen a cold sheep?  This is the thought I had the other day as the temps dipped to the 20's and I ran into the grocery store with out my coat. My legs were cold, my face was cold but my sweater wrapped body and my feet were warm.  I'm sure this is one of the reasons God made sheep, to provide natural fiber for us to wear and make us warm.
There is one downfall to this warm fiber.  Pills.  Lots of them.  My favorite sweater is COVERED. Pills are formed when the short fibers in the twist of the yarn stick out of the garment. They rub together from the friction of wear (under arms are particularly bad) clustering together forming pills. Merino wool  which is so soft next to the skin and a personal favorite for sweaters), cheap cashmere and acrylic yarns are renown for pilling.  They have lots of short fibers in the twist to poke out.
I didn't realize this knitting obsession would need time carved out of the year to de-pill my favorite garments. I have a De-fuzz comb like this, but I find it doesn't shave off the pills, but rather grabbed and pulled ever the good stitches.  I don't like it or use it.
I tried the stone, but find it is much like the above mentioned shaver.  So far, the best method seems to be the cheap little rotary sweater shavers you can find in any drug store, or my little Gingher scissors (only when I am completely alert and focused.  One poke or bad cut and it's all over. )  It is a rainy day activity for sure.  We may get snowed in this weekend, and if so, I know what I will be doing!

I may bake some cookies too.  These are one of my husband's favorites!

Peanut Butter Blossoms

1 c. sugar
1 c. butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 ounces (10 pkg.) Hershey Kisses or Brach’s Chocolate Stars
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. creamy peanut butter
¼ c. milk
3 ½ c. flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
Mix all ingredients above except Kisses. Shape in medium size balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes, place 1 kiss on each cookie.




2 comments:

  1. I am liking the cookie recipes, Debbie! Thanks! (...and feel free to keep them coming...)

    ARA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, dealing with the pills on the sweaters is not happy. We sometimes use a shaver on them. Sometimes, we just relegate those sweaters to "in front of the computer" use.

    Thanks for the recipe! When we get home I'll be baking again and will have to go back and try all these wonderful holiday and other recipes I am seeing on so many of our bloggy friends pages.

    Hugs,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails