Monday, January 24, 2011

Calling Mom


Three of my children have gone away to college. Each of them far enough away that in an emergency, we can't get there quickly. There was trepidation with each decision, yet we knew that we had raised our kids to be God's first, and we ultimately trust Him with their futures. This in no way negates the natural  mom-response when certain phone calls come from our children.

"Mom, my uvula is swollen."
"WHAT?"
"My uvula is swollen. Get on the webcam."
"Wow. It's swollen alright. Better call the doctor."

"Mom, my phone has a problem."
"What problem?"
"It has water coming out of it."
"Did you drop it in water?"
"No."
Phone cuts out. End of call.

"Mom, have you ever coughed up blood?"
"No."
"And I'm having trouble breathing."
"Call the doctor right NOW."

"Mom, we just had a tornado."
"Are you ok?"
"Yes, portions of the school and the town are destroyed. Oh, and the softball-sized hail never hit my windshield, just the metal all around the window. The rest of the car looks horrible."
"Well, that's good. I guess..."

"Mom, someone stole my $2400 Taylor guitar."
"Are you kidding me?"
"Nope."

"Mom, someone stole my $2400 Taylor guitar."
"Are you kidding me?"
"Nope."
This is no typo. Different guitar. Different kid.

"Mom, you know the new car I was picking up?"
"Yes..."
"Well, the transmission went out in the middle of the desert. I wish it wasn't Christmas Eve and it's cold in the desert."
"How are you getting home?"
"Not sure yet."

Now, I want to assure you that I am aware that there are much worse calls that a mother can get.  I know that it is by God's grace that any of us live, breath, or enjoy good health.  In fact I know that in fact, these small events only prepare me for big events, that if I live long enough, are certain to come.

But they still rock my world every time, if even only for a moment. And then I pray. What else IS there to do?

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 
 Philippians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails