Friday, August 12, 2011

Owls

Who knew it was so easy to knit an owl?  And who is the clever person that figured this out?  Knitters that are clever enough to come up with these cute designs to keep the rest of us amused always amaze me.  This is a sneak peek at my next project.  Stay tuned.....

My last child is entering her senior year.  We have homeschooled all of our children and so I am in a flurry of paperwork to notify our district, have everything cued up for college applications and gather all of our materials for our last year.  I remember beginning this great adventure 25 years ago when my oldest, now 30 began Kindergarten at home. We "did" school. We had strollers full of books that we lugged home from the library.  We listened to Adventures in Odyssey and saw every Little House on the Prairie ever made. We read the entire series four times over, to each child individually. Teaching a child to read and understanding their problems in a way a teacher can only hint at knowing was such a thrill. We caught bugs and hatched butterflies and dissected cow eyeballs. We went to Disneyland on Tuesdays in October and NEVER found ourselves in rush hour traffic.  We went to concerts, sat through piano, voice, recorder and violin lessons.  We attended 23 years of piano recitals. We went to basketball and soccer games, swimming and gymnastics lessons. To this day, it is our of my comfort zone to go to the grocery store on a Saturday with the rest of the world. My kids were able to study with the best music teachers no matter where we lived because of our flexible availability, building a firm base for their future careers. (of my boys, one is a composer, one a  worship leader/songwriter/singer, one is a theater major)   I am so grateful that God allowed us to raise our children in this way.  This is the last hurrah!

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise. Psalm 111:10

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! So wonderful for you and for your children. We know a number of people who have home schooled and have wonderful, intelligent, well-rounded children, now adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing your family as I do, Debbie, I can testify to what a fine job you and Todd have done with your children. Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails