Thursday, August 11, 2011

What's For Dinner?

We love peppers. Banana peppers are a must on sandwiches and pizza. Red peppers are so good in so many summer salads. Purple peppers?  Well, these are new.  They are small and taste a little like snap peas. It is so much fun to find a new variety to grow in the garden.
Today is What's For Dinner Thursday.  This is one of our favorite ways to grill chicken or split cornish game hens. The relish is fun on the side, but any sweet chutney or salsa would be fine too.

Grilled Chicken with Rhubarb Relish
chicken skinned
salt and pepper
lemon juice
olive oil

You can marinate the chicken in half lemon juice and olive oil, or make a mixture and just brush it on while it grills. It is really simple and delicious.  You could even try this on the Foreman grill!

Relish
3  cups diced rhubarb
3/4  cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 cup orange juice
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped

Place all ingredients for sauce in saucepan and boil, reduce heat and simmer until thick, about 10 minutes.  Let cool.   Make this ahead of time.    
Grill chicken, salt and peppered, brushed with lemon juice and olive oil.Make a green salad with lots of tomatoes and pepper from your garden and serve a crusty bread and you've got dinner!

Today it is cool. Finally.  It has been hot as blazes this summer and I haven't opened my windows once, until this morning.  The birds are singing, laundry is tumbling in the wash and coffee is brewing.
I read yesterday that contentment means to rest in what one already has and seek nothing more. It is a difficult thing for most of us. But I am grateful that as I am aging (egads!) I am growing in this area. New things for the home, collections (remember the Precious Moments or Beanie Babies?) and other clutter that just needs cleaning, sorting or organizing are all things that  weigh us down.  Less is More and I continue to get rid of things. This is not some new environmentalist idea. The Jews had to pick up and leave when God told them to. I moved many times and it took weeks to prepare.  Jesus didn't have a caravan following him to carry all of his stuff. I'm not sure he even had stuff... As I watch images of Somalia or Haitians that are still displaced, I know I don't need all of this. The markets are down, the nation has been financially downgraded . It's time to tighten the belt. The Bible says it well: "Godliness with contentment is great gain."  I Tim 6:6. 






1 comment:

  1. Looks wonderful. Aren't Mother Nature's colors terrific!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails