Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Dad

My dad was a high school English teacher.  When I was young, we spent many hours talking about books.  I remember sitting in our Dodge station wagon waiting for the movie to start at our local drive-in, listening to him expound on his favorite piece of literature.  I always enjoyed those conversations.  Because of his failing health over the past few years, our conversations became simpler.  I did the talking and he would give short answers. The last time I was able to see him was June, even though Parkinson's and the resulting aphasia made it difficult for him to speak, he leaned forward intently listening as my husband read the Bible to him.  He was hanging on every word. He was a learner and and learned late in life to trust the God who created him.
This picture is one painted by one of his students many years ago. Dad taught classical literature and loved the Great Books.  This is an accurate caricature of him during the time it was painted.
He is now with the author of the greatest book of all.


1 comment:

  1. What a lovely tribute. And, the picture is so nice to have!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails