Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Happy Birthday

My daughter celebrated her 18th birthday this week.  My son and his fiance are in town and we all had dinner at a wonderful Hibachi bar, my daughter's first time and not the last I'm sure.  Food is fun to eat, watch being cooked and as babies know, it is even fun to play with! It was a memorable night and my daughter had so much fun, she even danced on her chair (briefly) while a drummer drummed and the entire restaurant sang.  For a quiet girl, this was a site to see! We made some great memories.
On other nights, we experimented with fondue.  It was fun, delicious and entailed a learning curve.  Next time we know exactly what to do: double the broth recipe (as it boils away quickly) and don't over think the amount of cheese.  Yes, 1 pound of cheese is needed for 5 people...

My favorite thing all week was this yummy salad though.  Pears are in season and they are so good  in salad.  This recipe seriously made my taste buds explode!   And it is gluten free!
 
Pear & Bleu Cheese Salad

1 bag (10 oz) fresh spring greens or baby spinach
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1-2 pears, thinly sliced or cubed
1/2 cup bleu cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup candied pecans
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Dressing:
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup mayonaise
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

My company leaves on Saturday morning and I am now unemployed. I plan to clean out closets, actually finish the basement, start teaching knitting lessons from my home (so far 15 people are interested!) and have dinner on the table every night at a decent time. I hope to finish my sweater by the end of the month.  I have Christmas stockings to knit for Chad and Christen and my stocking-less new grandson. I may dust off my sewing machine.  I will exercise, spend time in God's word, take meals to friends and go to lunch once in a while. I have hopes that 2012 will bring new joy, some rest and a deeper knowledge of God.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails