Saturday, March 24, 2012

My Take on the Hunger Games


Yesterday I took my daughter to see the Hunger Games.  She had read the book and wasn't completely enthralled, so didn't finish the series.  We should have talked about it before we went.  I found it extremely upsetting. In fact revulsion is the word I would use to describe how I felt during the film and throughout the rest of the evening.  Some of my family and friends had to endure my rants.
 I always find it upsetting when parents bring young children to movies such as these, and the audience was peppered with children.  The film is extremely violent. To see just how violent, read here (there are spoilers- so if you don't want your violence spoiled...don't read.) These children left the movie uttering, "That was so good." That further sickened me.
The premise of the story is that a post-apocalyptic society controlled by a totalitarian government holds annual games in which each district of what was once the United States  (now called Panem) must offer a male and a female child up to a killing competition.  There can only be one survivor. This competition is televised to a garish (think French Revolution) Capitol population of gawking, shallow adults and to the districts of horrified and oppressed families.  Within the good and evil story, there are children who are also portrayed as good and evil.  The heroine is someone you root for. She offers herself to the competition, taking the place of her younger sister who was chosen.

Watching children kill children is not my cup of tea, no matter what the moral of the story is. Big government = bad. I get that. I am just tired of the violence. Maybe this movie will teach our children why big government is bad.  On the other hand, what child may be influenced by the graphic and disturbing images they had to watch to get the "point."And what about the child actors who had to play these parts?

The Kony 2012 video was disturbing, but we didn't have to watch as the children murdered their parents and others. We still got the point.

Several verses kept swirling through my head.

"It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea, than that he would cause one of these little ones to stumble. Luke 17:2

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Isaiah 5:20

And finally,
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Philippians 4:8

One last note, sometimes the things parents rant about cause a little rolling of the eyes by their children. I am happy, a deep down happy, that this did not occur.  My daughter agreed with me. Thank you, Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! Your comments make me happy!
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails